John McCarthy contacted me with information about his bike…
I had a 531SL TT frame built by Stan back in 1982. The build was arranged for by Pip Brown of Stonehenge Cycles in Salisbury. The frame number is SP8206 with 531 SL also stamped on the BB. There is also ‘EO’ in a triangle also stamped.
I used to race for the Salisbury Road Club back in the 60’s and early 70’s, but used a Mercian Superlight then!
The Stan Pike is a superb machine and I achieved personals on it at 10 and 25 miles.
- 23 inch 74 degree parallel
- Single brazed on DT lever
- Campagnolo vertical rear drop outs
- Campagnolo Record headset
- Campagnolo Record 177.5mm crankset with Gipiemme 53T ring
- Campagnolo Nuovo Record rear gear (marked 1981)
- Single drilled DT lever
- Cinelli 66-40 bars and Cinelli 13cm 1A stem
- Dia-Compe Aero 300G brakes
- Record SFQR record 28/28’s Mavic GEL280 / GL330 sprints
- SuntourUltra 6, 13 – 18T freewheel
- SR seat pin (original saddle fitted was Unica Nitor Mod.55 black)
- Campag Record Pista pedals with Christophe toe clips and Binda straps
It will always be a true classic!